Why should you register for the Scroll Books on Spools workshop, to be held on Sunday, April 15?
- You’ll learn new techniques and work with new tools that you can incorporate into your regular book arts practice.
- You’ll choose the color palette–muted, dark, bright–and the content (if any).
- Many of the supplies will be provided for you. For the most part, you just have to show up with several colors of acrylic paint–ANY acrylic paint. (See full supply list, sent to attendees by the instructor.)
- It’s affordable–$80 for a one-day workshop.
- It will be a fun day and a great way to usher in Spring!
Sunday, April 15, 2018, 9 am to 4 pm
Santa Fe Community College, Fine Arts Building, Room 710
Instructor: Julie Filatoff
In this workshop students will be given the raw materials with which to create several small scroll books on the theme(s) of their choosing. We’ll start by applying acrylic paint in a thin, quick-drying layer in an analogous colorway on strips of printmaking paper, then create layers with various mark-making tools. We will then apply paint to papier maché boxes. We will bind the strips to the wooden thread spools after discussing the options for theme(s), text/no text, paper/fabric/both, etc. Although we will use thread spools, this structure lends itself to many themes and interpretations. The instructor will supply the box, spools, and paper; and a large selection of mark-making tools. Students will bring paint plus any artist-made/artist-decorated papers and ephemera they would like to include, and of course the usual bookbinding kit. (A detailed supply list will be sent upon registration.)
Fee: $80. Maximum students: 12. To register, send a check for the full amount, payable to BAG, to Laura Wait, 108 Calle Francisca, Santa Fe, NM 87507, and email Laura at email@example.com to let her know you’d like to register.