Please note: For security reasons we never put the Zoom link on our website. If you did not receive an email from Santa Fe Book Arts Group with the link, please text 505-660-9942 with your name and your email address.
Saturday, October 9, 2021, 1 pm to approximately 3 pm MST
Free; Open to the Public; All are Welcome
- Welcome and Announcements by President Linda Zwick
- Art Flea Market Update by Cynthia Leespring
- Folded Paper Pleats Demo by Pam MacKellar (see supply list below)
- Presentation of the Letter Y for Mail Art by Julie Filatoff
- Art Journal Page Swap Update by Ruth Anna Abigail
- Santa Fe Origins Project Update by Sally Blakemore
- Community Announcements (calls for entry, upcoming exhibits and workshops, other highlights) by Attendees (2 minutes maximum, please)
Cutting Pleats Across Pleats
Pam MacKellar will demonstrate (and we will follow along) how to fold decorated sheets of paper into a sequence of pleats, then cut the pleats where they intersect. When the cuts are opened, they reveal a surprise pattern from the opposite side. This technique can be used to alter book pages, create one-of-a-kind art works, or make pages to include in unique artist books. It is also a very good folding practice.
Supplies and Materials:
- 1 piece of paper decorated on both sides*
- Bone folder
*The paper should be approximately 9”x12”, 10”x12”, or 12”x12”. Anything smaller will be difficult to fold into pleats. Arches Text Wove is Pam’s favorite paper to use for this technique because it is great for decorating and the weight (120g) is ideal for folding. Avoid heavy paper because it will give you trouble when folding.
Below is an example of one sheet, front and back.