Saturday, August 13, 2022, 1 pm to approximately 3 pm MT
Free; Open to the Public; All are Welcome
- Welcome and Announcements by President Linda Zwick
- Materials and Concepts: Books Developed through Sensory Observation and Engagement, a Presentation by Marci Ross Easterbrook (see below)
- Art Flea Market Update by Cynthia Leespring and Julie Filatoff
- Announcement of Fall Book Arts Courses at SFCC by Gordon Fluke
- Round Robin Art Journal Update by Cynthia Leespring
- Art Journal Page and ATC/Rolo Swap Update by Ruth Anna Abigail
- September Mail Art Description by Linda Zwick
- September Anything Goes Description by Linda Zwick
- Community Announcements (calls for entry, upcoming exhibits and workshops, other highlights) by Attendees (2 minutes maximum, please)
Please note: For security reasons we never put the Zoom link on our website. If you did not receive an email from Santa Fe Book Arts Group with the link, please check your email program’s “spam” or “junk” folder. Still not there? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and your email address.
Presentation: Materials and Concepts: Books Developed through Sensory Observation and Engagement with Marci Ross Easterbrook
Marci will present her work through different projects that show how the use of materials developed a concept. She will also talk about using your sensibilities to observe what happens as books in different materials stimulate ideas and can translate into other projects.
Marci Ross Easterbrook is an illustrator, printmaker, papermaker, book artist and teacher at Santa Fe Community College. Marci strongly believes that materials are a key source for knowing yourself as an artist and will lead each person to creative new work through text and image. She uses materials of paper, Tyvek, altered pages, and mixed media to create unique surface design that leads to discovery of creative concepts and content for books.
And the Next Day, an Online Workshop!
If you would like to sign up for this workshop after hearing Marci’s presentation, please go to the registration page here, send a check or pay for it with PayPal, and text Julie Filatoff at 505-660-9942 so she sends you the supply list and prompts!
Sense and Signatures: A Materials and Book Workshop with Marci Ross Easterbrook
Sunday, August 14, 2022
10 am to 2 pm (with a lunch break)
Via Zoom Online Platform
In this four-hour workshop you will develop your five senses (touch, smell, taste, hearing, and sight) into materials for concept and content development. This will become five signatures which you will bind into an artist book with a side-sewn accordion spine and Tyvek covers.
You will receive a supply and tool list prior to the workshop. The sequence of events: surface techniques on paper, staining Tyvek, making the accordion spine, lunch break, making signatures, sewing the spine and cover, and sharing your books with the other students and Marci.
Marci will also provide a printable .pdf document with directions, a jig, and concept prompts.
Limited to 15 students; held on Zoom. $69 per person (no materials included). Questions? Email email@example.com.
Register here: (NOTE: You must fill out the form; simply paying for the workshop does not secure you a spot.)