Board of Directors’ Roles, Responsibilities, and Opportunities
VISION: To inspire creative exploration of the book as art.
MISSION: To support the practice and awareness of book art by providing resources for artists of all levels to learn, expand, and share skills and ideas.
Thank you for considering joining our wonderful Board of Directors! We wanted to share some basic information with you about the board so that you are aware of what’s involved in (and hopefully excited about) joining our team!
Questions? Contact President Linda Zwick at email@example.com.
Board Definition as Adapted from the BAG By-Laws
The members of the BAG Board are the legal “embodiment” of Book Arts Group of Santa Fe, which is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. … As such, the Board is responsible for the general operations and management of the affairs of BAG. It will … determine its policies with the advice of BAG committees. It shall have the power to employ necessary staff and other help, authorize expenditures, and take all necessary and proper steps to carry out the mission of BAG and promote its best interests. Board members serve for 3 years and are eligible for re-election. Board members are voted into office by the BAG membership. The Board consists of a minimum of three members and maximum of 11.
Responsibilities of Board Members
- Attend six regular board meetings a year and special meetings as called by the president(s).
- Attend monthly BAG meetings as often as possible.
- Serve on BAG Committee(s) and/or chair a committee.
- Participate in the activities of the Board and of BAG.
- Take on ad hoc assignments from time to time as deemed necessary.
Expectations of Board Members
- Enthusiasm for the BAG activities, mission and vision.
- Willingness to contribute his/her time, knowledge, creativity, and/or expertise to the operations and success of the organization.
- Serve as an ambassador and advocate for book arts among BAG membership and in the community at large.
- Enjoy working with other people.
Benefits of Being on the BAG Board
- Being part of a great leadership team of creative, dedicated people.
- Opportunity to meet and get to know wonderful, like-minded people.
- It’s work, but it’s fun, meaningful, satisfying, and rewarding.
- Hey, it looks good on your résumé, too!